Friday, March 29, 2013

"Man (52) spends 23 good years paying maintenance for another man's child"



"Man (52) spends 23 good years paying maintenance for another man's child"



FOR 23 years he loved the child and raised him as his own.

Even when he and his wife split up, he kept on paying papgeld . . . then a blood test last week dropped like a bombshell: the kid wasn't his!

Percy Letlape from Pimville, in Soweto, is still bitter about the years of lies that he says cost him almost R100 000. Percy (52) told Daily Sun that he and his wife were married for 20 years. When he met her, she already had a son.

"I was happy when she told me that she was pregnant with our first baby," said Percy.
But after he divorced his wife in 2010, he became a cash cow for what he believed at the time was his own child. He began getting letters of demand that he pay R3 000 a month for the child. Later the amount went up.

"I have always provided for my child and also the son that my ex-wife brought into our marriage," said Percy.

Then in 2011 his ex-wife demanded that he pay college fees for the child – by this time an adult – for him to further his studies.

"I got a letter from the college saying I had to pay R25,000 a year," said Percy, who took out a bank loan to pay the college.

But the demands for money went on. "I couldn't understand why. I had always given my child the best of everything and suddenly it wasn't good enough," he said.

That's when he started to become suspicious and decided to have a DNA test to establish whether he was the child's father or not . . . The test came back negative!

"I was shocked and speechless. It cost me R800 to take samples for the test and it proved I was not the father. Now I want my ex-wife to pay me back all the money I have spent over the years on her child."

But he said his ex-wife had not bothered to explain or apologise. When reached for comment, Percy's ex-wife said she said she was not going to pay Percy back any money.

"The child is Percy's. The DNA results lied. He was supposed to raise the child," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment